Parish history

Saint-Norbert Parish / Saint-Norbert

Established around 1842   
First church in 1868
  First priest: 1955

The first inhabitants settled in Saint Norbert in 1842 in what was then known as Louisbourg.
The current church in Saint Norbert was built in 1868. It was served by priests from neighbouring parishes until the first resident priest, Fr. Désiré Melanson, arrived in 1955.
Saint Norbert has been served by priests from Sainte Marie parish since 1976.

The last mass was celebrated in St Norbert's church in August 2015. The parishioners were forced to close it due to lack of funds. Much of the artwork including statuary and paintings, was moved to neighbouring churches such as Sainte-Marie.  With the support of the population and renovations costing upward of  $20 000,  the old church has become "la maison étoile des enfants", a youth center for children, providing learning activities and workshops including hand crafts, theater and reading.