St-Louis-De-France Parish / Moncton
Established in 1877
First church 1908
First Pastor 1920
The first nucleus of French Catholics arrived at Lewisville in 1877. They numbered eight families. They were successively affiliated to Memramcook, St-Anselme, St-Bernard, and Our Lady of the Assumption parishes. A church dedicated to Saint Louis-de-France was built in 1908. This community will be joined to Our Lady of the Assumption parish.
On November 7, 1920, the mission was raised to parish status. Some 125 Acadian families spread out in what is now known as Lewisville, Sunny Brae and Humphrey, could finally cherish the realisation of their ten year old dream.
As the number of families continued to progress, the Church could no longer suffice to the ever increasing number of parishioners. In 1947 Msgr. Norbert Robichaud established a parish in Humphrey. In 1953 Sunny Brae broke away from the mother church and built its own chapel.
In 1971, the building burnt down and the church was rebuilt in its current modern architecture. It opened its doors to worship at the end of 1972.
Due to a significant decrease in the number of faithful, the Saint-Louis-de-France Parish put an end to its worship activities May 27, 2018.